Monday, December 06, 2004

Madam President?

After a weekend watching "Project Runway", and taking a break from whacking the ol' political horse, it's time to get back to the business of the nation, riding crop in hand.

In the NY Times this weekend, an interesting story about Hillary Clinton and her propsects for capturing the Democratic nomination. Now, I'm not one to run from an engaging debate on gender theory and the article engaged the opinions of three men, all seasoned in presidential campaigns and the guts of politics.

Their advice for Ms. Clinton: Move to the middle (because she's perceived too liberal, and being a woman won't help) and "If you’re trying to be the first female president, a premium will be attached to proving yourself as thoughtful as anyone on this issue", the issue being terrorism, because as a woman she may not know Rambo-speak very well.

I think what the article should have talked about what is getting presidential candidates some new advisors. Good luck with that, Hillary.

3 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Random said...

I, for one, live in fear of Hillary running. And it's not because I'm a women-hating, conservative or anything of the sort.

In fact, I'm a women-loving, liberal. I don't want her to run because she can't win. The electorate has slipped to the right and Hillary will be perceived as an East Coast liberal and, shamefully, a women.

I'm sorry to say it, but it's a no win scenario for the Democratic party if she runs.

Think first, act later,
Random

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Random said...

I have to disagree. The dems have no choice but to move to the center. Notice, I did not say the "right."

The culture of the country has shifted to a more conservative vein. The Republicans have done an excellent job of labeling democrats as "tax and spend" liberals who don't have fundemental values.

My feeling is that we will be in this culture change for another 5-10 years.

Clinton won playing to the "kitchen table" issues of the center. That's the only way in this climate to win.

The reality of this situation is that liberals will have no choice to vote for a "center" candidate because their only alternative is to look at a further descent to the right.

So, my thought was that the democrats need to look at someone like Evan Byah. He's a former governor of a red state (where he was elected twice), he has Washington experience as a senator, and he has a poltical pedigree. On top of that, he has moderate positions on the issues like abortion and taxes that I feel turned the election away from Kerry.

I do have to admit that I don't know much about Richardson and will have to study him more. Although, everything I've heard is that he has been positioning himself well.

Edwards will also be a player. I do think he made a mistake by giving up his seat in the senate. I don't know how he will maintain his public identity in the next four years without the profile of that position. Although, Reagan did a good job of staying in the public spotlight after his tenure as Gov. of California. But he had a charismatic, telegenic personality.

We shall see. I don't think I'm wrong, but the democrts must make a right turn to the center.

Think first, act later,
Random

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All i can say is BUSH SUCKS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home