Monday, January 24, 2005

But Leave God Out of This

I'm in full support of our military tracking down and exterminating bonafide threats to American freedom, wherever they may be. And I even find justification in defending the fundamental human rights of the defenseless. But I cannot abide the rationalization that "We have a calling from beyond the stars to stand for freedom," a quote from the President Bush's inauguration speech. Is Bush implying that God calls us to kill our enemies? That's no less ludicrous than Islamic fundamentalists claiming homicide bombers will be greeted in heaven by 72 virgins. Why can't we leave God out of this? I don't think he's taking sides, and I really don't think He gives a damn who occupies the Promised Land.

Patrick Anderson

1 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I totally agree. The idea that we're sooo damn awesome that we have a supernatural mandate to fix everyone else is outrageous. That's like my neighbor coming into my house and telling me I'm not living the right way and he's going to fix it. Ever hear of personal domain? And, on another note, what can we expect from people who expect a reward of 72 virgins? 72 virgins??? Not only is that demeaning to women, it's also retarded in a logical sense. So, what are these guys (*ahem* killers) going to do once they get done with their 72 virgins? Isn't this eternity?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home