Sunday, July 17, 2005

Say It Ain't So, Heathen Hollywood!



Damn it, Los Angeles! I rely on your films to show me shirtless honeyz, car chases, and lots and lots of 'splosions. Don't tell me you're getting all Johnny Churchgoer on me!

New York Times: The Passion of the Marketers

Is Hollywood trying to market its film to the flock? That's what this New York Times article says. Because of increased awareness of the Christian dollar, studios are hiring Christian consultants to bitch-slap some religion into scripts--or give the thumbs down to the occasional "Jesus!" or "Goddamn it!"

This bugs me on two levels. First off, while many films are just time-pass brain suckers, many are intended as art and shouldn't suited to fit one particular group.

Second, I'm not thrilled with the idea of religion being cheapened by folks who just want to make an easy buck off it. Sure, the gleaming God Gear on this page was made to make money too, but those folks who make velvet Jesus paintings have to make money somehow. As a Catholic, I'd be terribly offended at a film in which a muscleman just kneeled down for a few Lord's Prayers before some big action scene.

Not that I don't mind seeing religion used in not-so-reverent ways. When John Woo blew up a Virgin Mary statue with a hail of bullets in "The Killer" I hope I wasn't the only thinking "rock and roll!"

2 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one, it is good to have some kind of jesus in these films nowadays because you people need jesus. you dont need to don't need to see shirtless "girls" you need to take your butt to church. i may contridict myself right now but i now and then like to see some shirtless guys, but thats not all to a film. and it is good that the studios are hiring churchgoers to say no to people using gods name in vain. and you should know that to be a catholic. i on the other hand is strictly christian.

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so tired of Hollywood writers use of the "N" word in it's so called urdan story telling, that I have decided to fight back in any way possiable to bring issue to this subject. wheather we mass a grassroot org. to protest it's presistant use in Hollywood movies or by simple word of mouth. How dare Hollywood hide behind the title of entertainment, when it is clear that it is the same old thing, plan old bigotry in the devil "come out from under your sheets" write????.....no more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home