Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Football: Not a Sport for Sissies. Or People with Common Sense.

An interesting story straight out of Sao Paulo: Apparently, the mothers of Brazilian soccer players have become popular targets for ransom kidnappings.

SFGate.com: Kidnappings target Brazil's soccer moms
Gangs seek ransoms from star players


It's a solid article, but violence in football is hardly new. In 1994, Colombia defender Andreas Escobar was shot to death after making a fatal autogoal during a critical World Cup 1994 match. And of course, we have the phenomenon of the football hooligan. A proud English tradition dating back to the 1950's, football hooliganry involves frenzied loyalty to your local football club, picking fights with opposing fans, fire-setting, rowdiness and just general mayhem. Yeehaw!



Football hooliganism is a serious problem that has begun to spread to other countries, but...(looks around) I must confess I've always harbored a secret desire to get out there and throw some chairs through windows. I mean, somedays you wake up just itching to suit up in your Man City gear, listen to "Supersonic" on repeat and throttle Juventus fans. D'ya know what I mean?

5 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Damon said...

Its Just a game. If u cant take a game what is your reason for watching the game. You win you win. You lose you lose. Get over it

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other than me i never lose because my name is Damon

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Betfair Bettor said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Horse Racing and Sports site. It pretty much covers very related stuff to you.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christmas gift site/blog. It pretty much covers gift ideas for christmas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home