Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Bad Old Days

I was crusing the mega Friends of the Library Book Sale today when I started leafing through this 1932 guide to comedy. Pages of tips on how to be funny, dissecting "Take my wife, please" and "Boy, are my arms tired" types of jokes. Somewhere 'round page 200 was this random lame joke about quarter tones that ended with he punchline "What is the definition of the word "octoroon?"

When I'm watching old media, I'm constantly shocked by the everyday prejudice that pops up in the unlikliest of sources, like Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney putting on blackface in "Babes on Broadway." People may like to ridicule "political correctness," but...jeez, it beats having a world where casual racism is considered family fun.

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend just showed me this neat website full of italian joke
I cant believe the quantity an quality of humerous italian joke it contains
Heres one of the jokes i found on it:
Bob brought some friends home to his apartment one night after they had been out painting the town. One friend noticed a big brass gong in Bobs bedroom and asked about it."Thats not a gong" Bob replied "thats a talking clock. Watch this!"
Bob struck the gong and sure enough a voice on the other side of the wall screamed "Hey your jerk its 3 o'clock in the morning!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home