Saturday, March 26, 2005

Terri's Life

I'm just as sick of this as anyone else and my anger, resentment and frustration over this skyrocketed after hearing Saint DeLay's comments last week: (via Dispatches from the Culture Wars).

"One thing that God has brought to us is Terri Schiavo, to help elevate the visibility of what is going on in America," Mr. DeLay told a conference organized by the Family Research Council, a conservative Christian group. A recording of the event was provided by the advocacy organization Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

"This is exactly the issue that is going on in America, of attacks against the conservative movement, against me and against many others," Mr. DeLay said.

Ohhhh, I see! The left is using Terri to bring down the right?! But God has brought the right this woman, whose consciousness is questionable, but will martyr herself for them? Is that how God works??? And on Easter....how appropriate. Have our enlightened leaders even bothered to take a look at the polls that indicate most "conservative" voters don't even support federal intervention in this matter? And, apparently, some guy has offered money to have Terri's husband killed.

And then Bush, after signing Schiavo Law says it's better to err on the side of life. So does that mean no more death-penalty? Stricter gun control? No drilling in ANWR? What the *hell* does that mean? More money for AIDS in Africa? How about more money for AIDS here? No more Iraq-style wars? Does anyone else feel sick?

And now the news outlets, in their orgasmic furor to keep up with this story, have taken to interviewing "experts" on Terri's condition, like Dr. William Hammesfahr, a Florida neurologist who examined Terri in 2002, and who insists that Terri is not in a permanent vegetative state. Thanks Salon for this:

"Hammesfahr's professional credibility has in fact come into question before. In 2001, the Florida Department of Health accused him of falsely advertising a neurological treatment and exploiting a patient for financial gain, according to a report from the Associated Press today. With regard to Hammesfahr's views on the Schiavo case, Dr. Lawrence J. Schneiderman, a bioethicist at University of California, San Diego, told the AP, 'He's a quack, to put it the politest way I can.'"

I can't even begin to imagine what Terri would say if she were able to understand what's happened, though the Washington Post does a good job of guessing. This poor woman, whose parents want their daughter, whose husband feels it's not fair to keep her alive, who mostly likely got into this mess because of an eating disorder, would probably laugh, if she could, at how absurd this is.

11 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about wholesale import. I have a website about wholesale import which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we are organized %%desc%% then we often have time for other tasks.

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading a paper from a university about this subject. Nice article. You know what you are talking about. Along the lines of this theme, I have a similar site stop smoking patches where more information can be found on the subject. Thanks for the bit of information you posted here.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice information

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good information

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post

 
At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my bc car insurance quotes site.
Have a good day!

 
At 2:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my bc car insurance quotes site.
Have a good day!

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn Withers I like your blog. I hope you have a chance to take a look at my new website on Power-Pops . Are your ready for the weight loss revolution!! With Power-Pops we have developed a unique and revolutionary system to lose weight - in the form of a lollipop. How Does it Work? This product will suppress your appetite and food cravings, increase energy levels, and burn fat and calories in a safe and natural way. What makes our candy even more effective is that it will also give you an alternative to heading to the refrigerator and grabbing a snack out of habit instead of hunger. The Sweetest Way to Lose Weight! http://www.power-pops.com/seweightloss/powerpop.htm

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my california health insurance company site.
Good luck!

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following betting Blog, it is cool to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home