Sunday, June 19, 2005

Bingo and Jo Stafford records--Is that too much to ask?

If you’re like me, you’re terrified of being destitute in old age. I don’t know what cat food tastes like, and frankly, I don’t wanna know. Everywhere I look, I see articles stressing that I should start saving for my retirement right this exact minute, because SS won’t be enough to pay for my cod liver oil. Heck, most of the people I know think that Social Security will be bankrupt by the time we hit 65. With Congress and Bush in a tizzy about how to prop up the valiant old government program, it's future seems very uncertain right now.

Here’s an excellent article about several disparate people living on Social Security, from a former heroin addict to the guy who invented the Pop Tart. And it’s not one of those “spinach” articles (shut up and read this, it’s good for you). It’s very well-written and quite fascinating—you’ll like it, promise.

Great article from 06-17-2005 New York Times:
Living With Social Security: Small Dreams and Safety Nets

I know old age is scary, but hey, it’s better than the alternative. And hopefully, we'll still have Social Security to pay for those weekly Bingo nights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home