Thursday, May 04, 2006

Bad, Bad Laptop!

Take a look at this Laptop article HERE

Laptops in classrooms, hmm? They should be banned from all college classrooms, period. I agree with the professors, all they do is distract other students and there use is only for going on the web to search the net and instant messaging Suzy to come over later to the house—they’re rarely used for note taking. If I were a professor I would ban them from my classroom and come up with a bill to ban laptops in all classrooms around the globe.

What happened to the old fashion days, when students used spiral notebooks and a pen or pencil to write notes or to draw helplessly during a boring lecture? Retro and classic is in right now, so I’m going to promote pen and paper note taking for the rest of the year and see if students catch on.

Classrooms are meant for learning and listening, not for Myspace. But I guess it's up to the students, they're the ones paying fees and tuition, it's their future, so let them decide... Well, this is a dictatorship and I say, "BAN THE DARN THINGS!"

4 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I AM A STUDENT AND I USE MY LAPTOP TO TAKE NOTES IN CLASS. IT IS QUICKER, EASIER AND NEATER THAN SCRIBBLING NOTES DOWN ON A PEICE OF PAPER. HALF of THE TIME I CAN'T READ WHAT I WRITE ANYWAY. AND THIS IS COLLEGE. WE ARE ADULTS, EVEN IF WE WERE SURFING MYSPACE IN CLASS WHO CARES. IF WERE NOT DISTRACTING ANYONE ELSE THEN IT'S OUR CALL.

teachers need to get over their power trip and let students do what they want!

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And FYI that html doesn't lead to anything.

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Native Son said...

I just completed grad school in 2005. And my Laptop was great for typing notes. It is better then scribling stuff down on paper. I do understand the frustrations os Professors, but the students are the ones who pay tuition, and if they decide to surf the net during class instead of taking notes then thats on them.

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, even though the students are paying tuition to attend the lectures, you cannot forget that a classroom is also a community. It's much less distracting if your fellow classmates are sleeping (unless they are snoring.) If your fellow students are giggling and pointing at the screen, it takes away the learning experience from the everyone else--who are also paying tuition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home