Thursday, September 08, 2005

Postal Service ponders the 'Dead'

A JERRY GARCIA STAMP!?

You’ve got to be kidding me! Will his stamps have LSD on the back, so when you lick those puppies, you’re “Truckin” through the rest of your day in a Purple Haze! You could buy a whole sheet of Jerry Garcia stamps and sell them to your friends! It will be just like the good ol’ days!

Alright, easy joke. I couldn’t resist. But it’s true, a grassroots campaign wants to memorialize the Grateful Dead's driving force with a U.S. Postal Service stamp.

Personally, I’d be happy to never hear another Grateful Dead song as long as I live. If someone ever pulls out a “boot leg” tape or cd in my car, I will chuck it right out the window without thinking twice.

I’d prefer using their records as targets at a shooting range, BUT, Garcia arguably was a talented musician who blended many styles, including blue grass, jazz, folk, country and rock. In some weird way that I will never understand, he was a father figure to millions of people, and he was a philanthropist.

Garcia was also allegedly known to smoke insane amounts of pot, snort cocaine, drink a ton of booze and swallow countless acid hits, among other substances.

But, the Postal Service has been down this road before. They honored Elvis Presley -- who died of a heart attack after years of abusing prescription drugs – and that stamp was a best-seller.

The Postal Service also honored jazz great Louis Armstrong -- a United States ambassador of Good Will -- with a stamp, despite the fact that Armstrong was quite open about smoking a lot of marijuana throughout most of his life. He was even arrested, allegedly, for marijuana possession.

The Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee has garnered more than 6,000 signatures without any publicity to speak of other than word of mouth and some online petition (at: www.petitiononline.com/Garcia/petition.html)

The stamp’s preliminary future lies in the hands of The Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee, and ultimately with the Postmaster General.

As much as I hate to admit it, I’m not surprised about the petition to honor Jerry Garcia with a U.S stamp, and it’s not as far-fetched as I would like to think – Unfortunately. Sigh.

2 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger C R Mountjoy - GDF said...

How about a Manson 40th Anniversary Stamp? Watergate Stamps? How about lowering the cost of postage, first. Stick to birds and trees on stamps and leave the politics out. I heard a great joke Joan Rivers did a few years ago. ' I met the Queen of England. The only thing I knew about her is what I saw on the pictures on stamps. So when I met her, I licked the back of her neck! She all bald back there and brushes her hair forward.' Classic?

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it up. I enjoy your nice blog. check out my humming bird food site. It pretty much covers humming bird food related stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home