Tuesday, June 28, 2005

video killed the radio stars and mp3s killed the record sales

The Supreme Court decision in the Grokster case , brought up by major movie and music companies, ruled that file-sharing networks such as Grokster and Morpheus, which connect one user directly to another instead of going through a central server like Napster, can be held responsible for users downloading and "stealing" copyrighted material. The movie and music industry are touting it as a "historic victory for intellectual property in the digital age" because illegal downloading is hurting record and movie sales. The music industry has seen a drop in sales of 25% since 1999 when file-sharing was introduced.

I am outraged that we have let file-sharing get so out of hand. C'mon people, mulit-millionaires are losing money! Those huge mansions and Bentleys just don't pay themselves off you know. And they need the money to pay their servants to buy the groceries for their chefs to cook so that their nannies can feed their kids. Bootleggers, you make me sick.

Such a "historic victory" for the entertainment industry. I've never even heard of Grokster. There are too many file-sharing networks and there's no stopping it. Even if they somehow managed to eliminate file-sharing (they never will), there are still CD and DVD burners. File-sharing is just one element of bootlegging. And there's probably so much bootlegging and downloading because very few DVDs or CDs are worth the price tag. I've got a mouth to feed -- my own, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy a mediocre CD or DVD if I can download the two or three decent songs from the album or buy a bootleg DVD off some guy on Mission Street for only $5. If a CD or DVD is good, I go out and buy it. But if the entertainment industry wants to increase sales again, they should try lowering the prices of their products instead of trying to eliminate file-sharing. And anyone who pays to download music is a sucka.

13 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to your opinion about the entertainment industry, I would just like to comment about your generalizations of the people who make their money selling art. Your comments are an obvious reflection of your ignorance of how music and films are made and the time and money it takes to do so. If you get your information from watching MTV Cribs I can see how these generalizations could occur, however there are many artists who make a modest living from selling their art but who would not be able to continue without revenue from CD sales. I will assure you that most musicians and other artists are not driving around town in Bentleys and living in McMansions. Smaller muscians and artists have been hurt by people stealing their art. While it may not effect G-Unit in the wallet as much, it may very well cause smaller musicians who do not have clothes lines, shoe lines and sponsorship deals to not be able to continue thier craft. I also do not think that this was much of a victory over downloading but would never admit that I was too cheap to purchase art that can cost as little as 99 cents.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger JLV76 said...

In regards to your opinion about the entertainment industry, I would just like to comment about your generalizations of the people who make their money selling art. Your comments are an obvious reflection of your ignorance of how music and films are made and the time and money it takes to do so. If you get your information from watching MTV Cribs I can see how these generalizations could occur, however there are many artists who make a modest living from selling their art but who would not be able to continue without revenue from CD sales. I will assure you that most musicians and other artists are not driving around town in Bentleys and living in McMansions. Smaller muscians and artists have been hurt by people stealing their art. While it may not effect G-Unit in the wallet as much, it may very well cause smaller musicians who do not have clothes lines, shoe lines and sponsorship deals to not be able to continue thier craft. I also do not think that this was much of a victory over downloading but would never admit that I was too cheap to purchase art that can cost as little as 99 cents.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this music download site, it's pretty awesome too!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger jon said...

We are trying to find good computer animation movie to take the kids this weekend. Good computer animation movie reviews are hard to find

I just stumbled onto your blog while looking. Seems to happen to me a lot since I am a knowledge mooch LOL

Thanks

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Joe Berenguer said...

I was searching blogs,and I found your site.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
vhs dvd storage unit
It pretty much covers vhs dvd storage unit related issues.
Have a good day!

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous New Business Opportunity said...

Great Blog,

I am also in the New Business Opportunity business and thought you may like to check out my opportunity.

http://www.inforatreat.com/dvd

Get in quick as the early bird catches the worm.

All the Best

New Business Opportunity

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous downloading music said...

Your blog is perfect and nice, we are offering to learn more visit or

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous free music downloads said...

Your blog is perfect and nice, we are offering Free Mp3 Music Downloads to learn more visit Free Mp3 music Downloads or

Free music Downloads or

Mp3 music Downloads or

music Downloads or

Mp3 music or

Downloading music or

Downloadable music or

Mp3 music Downloads

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, why not?

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Make said...

Hi blogger:)

We think no one visits my web blog, cause We hardly have a comment.. My sister did posted a few ones, however nothing else.. We do not know why, but Urs is awesome - We love it and try to create some useful content only like U are doing:)

Regards,
make money fast online

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Money said...

Hi blogger:)

Well done - We can hardly receive a comment on my web blog.. The only comments We have are ones that my brother created:) Hope U keep Urs great as much as it is now!! Cheers:)

Regards,
adware spyware removal

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Earn said...

Hey,

I'm out searching for the some information about making money online and found your site. Although this post wasn't exactly what I was looking for; it certainly got my interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for making money related information and I'm glad I stopped by even though this isn't a perfect match. Great post, thank's for the read!

Regards,
make money fast

 
At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Hello I am the traffic man, zip, zip, zip. make a new resolution to get a flood of traffic to your website this year. Let me show you how to get FREE traffic to your site. Yes I said FREE, FREE, FREE!!! Don't delay.

To find out more, visit my business opportunities from home site. It successfully covers FREE information exposing FREE traffic and business opportunities from home related stuff. Don't forget - FREE, FREE, FREE. You have nothing to lose!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home